Why Tooth Alignment Is Essential to Achieving an Optimal Smile Makeover
Dr. Monika Aneja at Mint Dental in Bradenton, FL is very familiar with the many ways to create a beautiful smile with modern dentistry. One aspect of a beautiful, healthy smile is the proper alignment of your teeth. Although veneers can modify the appearance of tooth spacing, tooth size and shape, they are not always recommended treatment. This article will help you understand why.
Moving your teeth into proper alignment through orthodontics not only gives you a beautiful smile but also aligns your teeth so your teeth and jaw joints can work more effectively and there is minimal wear and tear on your teeth, jaw bones and joints. The proper spacing of your teeth also results in your ability to brush and floss all surfaces of your teeth more easily and thoroughly, reducing harmful bacteria that cause dental caries and gum disease. This means you will have fewer oral health problems, need less restorative dentistry over your lifetime, and should have comfortable jaw joints and muscles.
“Every patient presents with a unique set of circumstances, and many times the creation of a lasting beautiful smile cannot be achieved without orthodontics,” says Dr. Monika Aneja. “One of the questions I hear is, ‘Why should I have braces when I could have veneers put on my teeth to make them look straight?’ Having veneers adhered to the front teeth may solve an aesthetic problem. Many times I do veneers for patients because veneers are a perfectly good treatment option for their circumstances. But, if a patient has occlusal (bite) problems, the existence of occlusal interferences is likely to increase the risk of veneers being damaged as the patient bites and chews. Many adults don’t want to be seen wearing braces and are impatient to get their dentistry done as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, this may not be in their best interest. If I recommend tooth alignment as part of comprehensive treatment plan, it is because I know that creating an optimal bite is in the patient’s best interest now and long into the future.”
The advantages of having orthodontics as part of a comprehensive treatment plan follow:
- Proper alignment enhances tooth and jaw function, thus maximizing long-term oral health and comfort.
- Proper alignment increases the longevity of the dentistry. Both your natural teeth and your restorations will last longer.
- Having straight teeth makes it easier for you and the dental hygienist to keep them clean.
- If you need a filling, crown or bridge, I can do a more optimal restoration if the teeth are aligned properly.
- Another advantage for some people is the dramatic improvement of facial appearance.
If you choose orthodontics, here are some things you can anticipate:
- It will not take longer to move your teeth because you are an adult.
- Many times creating a functional bite through orthodontics gives you a beautiful esthetic smile with minimal dentistry. Dr. Aneja has expertise in teen and adult orthodontics using Invisalign® clear aligner technology to create a beautiful healthy bite. Invisalign’s clear and smooth aligner technology is highly effective for treating mild to moderate tooth spacing issues, including mild to moderate overbites and underbites.
- If you grind your teeth or experience jaw joint pain, Dr. Munoz will likely recommend a period of bite splint therapy prior to orthodontics.
If you have been thinking about straightening your teeth, you can expect your investment in orthodontics to provide not only a more aesthetic smile but also improved function and oral hygiene for a lifetime of oral health. If you are considering Invisalign treatment, we hope you give us a call. Invisalign is not just for teens and young adults. Many elder adults in Florida are choosing to improve their smiles and health with Invisalign. Don’t let age be a barrier to having the smile you desire. Give us a call today.